Waterproof footwear represents a good investment for anyone that spends time in the great outdoors or works where contact with water is always possible. The footwear is equally beneficial for those that live in climates that receive a significant amount of rain. The right footwear keeps feet dry and won’t be ruined should an unanticipated water hazard occur.
Waterproof footwear typically costs more, but it also lasts longer. There are dozens of brands from which to choose and styles range from flats and sneakers to boots. One thing that individuals should be aware of is the difference between waterproof and water-resistant.
Waterproof shoes have a coating that won’t let moisture pass through, but the coating does degrade and weaken over time. The footwear also tends to keep perspiration trapped inside unless it has a means of ventilation.
Water-resistant shoes will repel a certain amount of moisture, but not all. The best waterproof footwear is a personal choice and individuals should keep in mind the following when making their selection.
- Support is critical and should be paired to the activity whether it’s walking, running, hiking, or working. Don’t choose footwear simply because it’s waterproof.
- A waterproof liner allows moisture to escape and provides breathability.
- Footwear with built-in odor control can be particularly attractive for those that regularly walk, run, hike, or work in wet conditions.
- Waterproof footwear is typically constructed of leather, Gore-Tex or GTX material, or rubber.
- Many consider leather the best material base for a waterproof shoe for its ability to breathe but don’t discount other materials.
The choice of the best waterproof footwear is a subjective one and the preferred brand will be dependent on multiple factors desired by the wearer. For the ecologically minded, there’s also a 100 percent vegan sneaker that’s lightweight, breathable, and has anti-odor abilities built-in. Waterproofing doesn’t rely on a coating – it’s integrated directly into the knit of the shoe.
Pool Guys of Palm Beach | Lake Worth, FL
or find us on Social Media